A satisfying and simple beef noodle soup, perfect for an everyday meal.
This recipe is great when you are looking for a warm and filling meal. It hits the spot for a lunch or light dinner. The sweet and salty flavor play off of each other to give the soup a great flavor. You’ll find yourself slurping down the last drops of the soup wishing you had made more.
When prepping the beef cut it into long strips you want it to play and get stuck around the noodles. So making the strips long and thin does the trick. To prepare the beef you add in the soy, mirin, sugar and water. Let the beef sit for a few minutes.
When ready cook the beef on the cook top for 5 minutes only. No more, or it will become tough like shoe laces – and you don’t want that. Cook the beef with a little oil for the first three minutes on medium high heat to sear the meat. then for the last 2 minutes add in the soy and mirin sauce to the pan and cook on high heat until the liquid has boiled off. Typically about two minutes.
Next prepare the delicious broth. Mix in all the ingredients and then bring to a boil and drop in the udon noodles. Let the noodles cook for 2 minutes.
When all ready, use a large soup bowl, the bigger the better for this meal. Add in broth, noodles and beef. Then garnish with some fresh green onions or cilantro. That’s it. Enjoy the delicious soup.
Below is the complete recipe, instructions and a short video to follow along. if you make this recipe let me know how it turns out and hope you enjoy it. Thanks, Delicious Eric.Print
A sweet and salty beef soup that is highly satisfying with a great tasting broth.
Sweet and Salty Beef Udon
- 6 ounces beef
- 2 table spoons cane sugar
- 2 table spoons soy sauce
- 1 table spoon mirin sauce
- 3 ounces water
- 8 ounces fresh udon noodles
- 3 cups water
- 2 table spoons soy sauce
- 2 table spoons mirin sauce
- 1 tea spoon sesame oil
- Cut beef into long thin strips.
- Mix beef, sugar, soy and mirin sauce in a bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a pan on high-heat with a little oil sear the beef for three minutes.
- After three minutes add in the juice from the sauce for the beef. Continue cooking on high until the sauce liquid boils off and the beef becomes glazed with the remaining sauce. then remove from heat.
- In a pot mix the soy, mirin, water and sesame oil. Bring to a boil.
- Add udon noodles to the pot with the broth, continue to boil for 2 minutes then remove from heat.
- Using a large soup bowl place the udon noodles, and add broth until the bowl is 2/3 filled.
- Place beef on top of noodles. Garnish and serve.
Be careful not to overcook the beef or it will become tough and chewy.
Keywords: udon, beef, noodle, sweet, salty, soy sauce, mirin sauce, sesame oil, recipe, soup